Veterans Day falls on November 11th and celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, so we wanted to make sure it was a special day for those in our office who had served or were currently serving their country.
To that end, we started working on some awesome ‘honoring veterans’ ideas, like a wall of photos with the names and branches of service of our coworkers who had served in the military. We also brainstormed some meaningful activities we could do on Veterans Day, like writing thank-you letters to active duty soldiers.
How SwagMagic can help your brand?
- Bulk Buy & Save on your gifts!
- Curate Customized Swag Boxes!
- Launch Your Store for your employees!
- Secure Swag Storage with us!
After a bit of experimentation, we were able to narrow down the best ways to celebrate Veterans Day.
Unique ideas for the Veterans Day celebration program including ten activities or ways to honor veterans:
- A moment of silence at 11 am on November 11th in recognition of Veteran’s Day
- Display the U.S. flag and fly it with pride
- Donate to veteran charities or programs
- Show appreciation through kind words and gestures to those who served
- Invite veterans from your community to a Veterans Day event
- Make crafts using donated materials and give them as gifts to veterans
- Re-enact historical battles or war stories with local reenactment groups
- Plant flowers, trees, or shrubs in honor of the fallen
- Donate in the name of a veteran to an important cause
- Participate in clean-up efforts at military cemeteries or memorials
It has to be said that we were surprised at how many people pitched in veterans day craft ideas for adults. This collaborative work project highlights your coworkers’ skills and brings out the best in everyone.
At one of our events, we made personalized cards with poems or quotes we had written ourselves. Everyone would stand up, read it aloud, and then sign the card before giving it to a veteran at a nearby nursing home.
Veterans Day Ceremony Script
Eventually, we started through our Veterans Day ceremony ideas and nailed down one Veterans Day ceremony script that worked for everyone.
Curate the perfect box of handpicked gift they’ll love and send joy their way
We started by saying a few thanks to all the veterans present, and then we went around the room, letting everyone share their stories of how they were connected to a veteran or talk about what they learned from them. It was a significant moment for everyone in attendance as we listened to each other’s experiences.
The Veterans Day ceremony program has gone from an unusual idea to the most effective bonding exercise ever. It allowed us to connect deeper and appreciate our veterans’ sacrifices.
Why Do We Honor Veterans
At the end of the year, the whole office could honestly say they’d had a great time celebrating every national holiday together, but Veterans Day was the most meaningful. We’d all learned why honoring veterans and appreciating their service is essential.
Of course, we already knew that veterans had fought for our freedoms and safety, but hearing each other’s connections to a veteran or what they learned from them made us all more mindful of why we honor veterans.
It also brought us together as a team in a way that improved morale because when we were celebrating our nation’s heroes and honoring their bravery, we felt part of something bigger. It was a reminder that no one is truly alone in this world.